Avid Media Composer - What's New History
- Avid Universal Media Engine (UME) - "Avid has been working on a solution to remove Media Composer dependency on Apple QuickTime libraries. Avid is implementing the Avid UME plug-in for linking, importing and exporting."
- Timeline Sequence Map
- Blank Panel
- Select Muted Clips
- Strip Silence
- Mapping Buttons at the Bottom of the Timeline
- Inspector Tool has been updated to support Multi-Selection 
Version 2018.12 - 31 Dec 2018 
- Avid Titler: a new Title Tool that works within the editing application that allows you to quickly create titles in all project types and rasters.
- Editing Group Clips: If you have a MultiCam group that you want to edit or add a new shot to, you can with this release. With this release, you can also create a group clip directly from a sequence.
- Waveform Sync allows you to sync your audio in the Timeline.
- Changing the Source Audio Track in the Timeline: Simply right-click on an audio track in your Timeline, select Change Source Track and choose the desired source track
- Background Bin Auto-Save
- 64 Tracks of Video
- Timeline Settings Update: when you drag a segment, you can now choose to show the frame at the blue position bar when dragging a segment.
- Media File Path Column added to the Bin Column options
- Adding Bins and Scripts to Project Folder
Version 2018.11 - 19 Nov 2018 
- DNxUncompressed Update: import, render, transcode and mixdown at uncompressed quality
- Timeline Settings Change: Show Four-Frame Display is no longer on by default.
Version 2018.10 - 24 Oct 2018 
- Mac OS v10.14 has been added to the list of supports Operating Systems.
- Additional Support for Panasonic AVC-LongG Format
- Color Management LUT Update
- Additional Color Space Presets
Version 2018.9 - 14 Sep 2018 
- Live Timeline Additions - You can solo, mute, and change audio gain during playback. You can also choose to set certain Edit Marker window behavior during playback.
- AMA File Export Change - Export options have been updated.
- DNxUncompressed - With the introduction of DNxUncompressed, it is now possible to import, render, transcode and mix-down at uncompressed quality.
- Default Stream Count Limitations in Media Composer - Real-time streams are no longer limited to 12.
- DPX Export Improvement - Exporting DPX files is much faster than in previous releases.
- HLG Scope: Display 75% graticule for Graphics white - The HLG scope waveform displays an orange horizontal line to show graphics white at 75%.
Version 2018.8 - 13 August 2018 
- Avid Generic Plug-In: Avid continues working to remove dependencies on QuickTime libraries.
- Launching Media Composer | First: There is a single installer for Media Composer and Media Composer | First
- Enhanced Correlation Tracker: You can select additional export options from Export to File.
- Exporting to XDCAM Change: When exporting XDCAM OP1a, you select XDCAM through the Avid Media Processor.
- Exporting AVC-I OP1a: This release expands our support for exporting AVCI-OP1a.
- Avid Artist DNxIP Device: This release supports the Avid Artist | DNxIP device.
- Setting Automatic HDR Conversions for SDR Media: The editing application allows you to map the white point of SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) media for REC2020 (HLG) and REC2020 (PQ) projects.
- 3D LUTS for HDR to 709 Conversions: We have added 3 LUTs that allows you to preserve high luminance values when converting to Rec.709.
Version 2018.7 - 12 July 2018
- Export to File Options - You can select additional export options from Export to File.
- 16K Project Presets - The editing application includes 16K project presets.
- Activating AC3 Separately - You no longer need to activate AC3 separately.
- Support for Full Frame Stereoscopic with Avid Artist DNxIQ - Full frame stereoscopic is supported with the Avid Artist DNxIQ.
- Thin Raster Support with Open I/O Hardware - You can open a thin raster project with an Open I/O device attached.
- Resizable Composer window - You can freely resize the Composer Monitor.
- Working with BXF Files - You can edit a BXF sequence, then export it with related essence files.
- Preview Growing Sequences and Clips while Exporting to DNxHR or DNxHD - You can link to and preview a file that is still being exported (on another system).
- Exporting XDCAM OP1a Media - XDCAM MXF OP1a export is available in any project type that supports XDCAM.
- Performing an Insert Edit to an Exported Sequence - The editing application allows you to perform a file-based insert edit to an already exported DNxHD sequence in a 1080i/59.94 project.
- Support for NewTek® NDI Video over IP - Avid Media Composer now includes support for transmitting NDI streams directly from the application.
- Live Timeline - You can perform a number of tasks while a sequence plays in the Timeline.
- Correlation Tracker - An additional correlation tracker for tracking motion in an image has been included with this release.
- Support for High Frame Rate Projects (100, 119.88, 120) - The editing application supports 100, 119.88, and 120 frame rate projects.
Version 2018.5 - 10 May 2018
- Get Info Window Update: You can edit allowable fields in the Get Info Window.
- Hybrid Log Gamma Color Transformation: The white point of media is now recommended to be mapped at 75% on the HLG scale.
- Change track in create/edit Marker dialog: You can change the track in the create and edit Marker window.
Version 2018.4 - March 7th, 2018
- Support for latest iMac Pro – Media Composer now supports the latest Apple iMac Pro. Note that systems using NEXIS will require the 18.3 client.
- Perform Insert Edit to an Export File - With this release you can perform a file-based insert edit to an already exported sequence. Currently this supports XAVC-I material only, but more codecs will be added.
- Generating iXML Metadata When Creating WAV Media - WAV media generated using Audio Export, as well as managed media in OMF (Wave) format, will include iXML metadata.
- Timeline Clip Notes Window Representative Frame - You can now display a representative frame in the Timeline Clip Notes window.
- Timeline Clip Notes Quick Find - You can search for text in the Timeline Clip Notes window.
- Customizing Timeline Views - You have more control when customizing Timeline Views.
- Setting Pre-roll for ScriptSync and PhraseFind - You can enter a pre-roll value when searching in the Find Window and the Script Window.
- Adjusting Font and Font Size in the Timeline Clip Notes Window - You can change the font and font size in the Timeline Clip Notes Windows.
- New Script Lock Icons - New script lock icons help you when working in a shared script.
- Color Adapters Listed in the Effect Editor - Color adapters are now listed in the Effect Editor.
- Updates to the Marker Window. - A number of updates have been included with the Markers Window.
- Run Length Encoding for Alpha - You to choose to import an alpha channel as either Uncompressed or as Run Length Endcoded (RLE).
Version 2018.3 - Mar 14 2018
- Ability to generate iXML metadata when creating WAV media
- Splash screens & progress bars appear on primary monitor
- 1080p/50 XZVC-Long Capture
Version 2018.2 - Feb 15 2018
- Live Waveform Update in Color Correction tool
- Avid Color Control Surface improvements
- Quick Access to Grid Settings
Version 2018.1 - 16 Jan 2018
- Mappable Quick Find Button - With this release, the Quick Find button can be mapped to a key.
- Exporting Separate WAV Files per Track - With this release, you can export each audio track in the Timeline as a separate WAV file.
Version 8.10 - 21 Dec 2017 
- Support for Avid Artist | DNxIV: This release supports the new Avid Artist I/O box, the Artist | DNxIV.
- Export OP1a MXF file as Panasonic AVC Long-GOP (H.264): This release of the editing application allows you to export OP1a MXF files as Panasonic AVC Long-GOP (H.264).
- Enhancements to Audio Mixer Tool: Using the Tab key to scroll in the Audio Mixer tool will continue to scroll through tracks that are not initially visible in the window. Additionally, new Gang context menus have been added to the Track and Group panes to help manage the tracks you are ganging or un-ganging.
- Timewarp Effect Updates: Timewarp effects played backwards (reverse motion) are now in real time. Also with this release, the Effects Palette now includes a Timewarp Freeze Frame effect template.
- Syncing Based on Waveform Analysis: The use of waveform analysis to create synchronized clips has been added to the Auto Sync function.
- 8K Presets: A number of 8K project presets have been added to the Select Project Window, saving users from having to make and save custom projects to work with their 8K media.
- Logging in to MediaCentral from the Select Project Window: Users can now log into MediaCentral through the Select Project window.
- Refreshing Locked Bins: Two new bin lock icon colors have been introduced to indicate the status of a locked bin. Users can now see when changes have been made to a locked bin and when the bin has been released for read/write functions.
Version 8.9.4 - 3rd August 2017
- Support for HiRes Monitors with Mismatched Scaling - In previous releases, Media Composer supported dual HiRes or HiDPI monitors when both monitors were set to the same scaling. With this release, you can mix 100% and 200% scaling for Win10 dual monitor setups.
- Go to Next/Previous Event - The Rewind and Fast Forward buttons have been renamed and have new icons to reflect what the buttons actually do. The new names are Go to Next Event and Go to Previous Event.
- Composer Settings: Move (Formally the FF/Rew tab) - The options in the Move tab control how the position indicator moves when you use the Go to Previous and Go to Next buttons in your Avid editing application monitors.
- Searching for Items in the Timeline - With this release, when you search for items in the Timeline, the Find window will display the Timeline elements matching the search text.
- Mappable Segment Preview Button - You can now map the Segment Preview button. The button has been added to the CC tab of the Command Palette.
- Mapping Bin Fast Menu Commands to the Keyboard - You can map bin fast menu commands to the keyboard.
- Appending All Markers to EDLs, Cut Lists, and Change Lists - You can now append all Markers from a composition to an EDL, Cut List, or Change List. Previously, if the marker was in the composition but was not part of an event, it was not included in the output.
- Previewing In-Progress Sequences and Clips While Exporting - This feature allows you to link to a file that is still being exported (on another system).
- Video Data Rate Column Heading - You can now choose to display an additional bin column heading. The Video Data rate column displays the data rate of a linked clip.
- Support for Playback of 4 Streams of XAVC-I - This release of the editing application supports playback of 4 streams of XAVC-I in an UHD 59.94p project.
Version 8.9.3 - 30 Oct 2017
- Effects Parameters Update - With this release, the following effect parameters have been updated to include a decimal for better precision.
- Move Clips Up and Down in the Timeline - Two new commands allow you to easily move clips up and down the Timeline.
- Color Info Tool Setting - A new setting has been added to the Effect Editor that allows you to disable the Color Info Tool from automatically launching when you access a color picker.
- Dynamic Shuttle - With this release, you can use the Dynamic Play Forward and Dynamic Play Reverse buttons to adjust play speeds at smaller increments than with the usual J and L keys.
- Audio Pitch Correction - This release includes an Audio Pitch Correction option. Go to the Audio Settings in the Project window.
- Color Correction Presets - A number of color correction presets have been added to the effects library.
- Adjusting FrameFlex Parameters - With this release, using the Shift key while adjusting the X, Y, Size, and Z Rotation framing parameters, allows for a more controlled adjustment.
- Tool Palette Update - This release includes changes to accessing the Tool Palette.
- Motion Adapters and Source Settings Support for Matte Key Effects - In previous releases, Motion Adapter effects were not applied to clips with Matte Key effects. With
- this release, Matte Key’s support Motion Adapters. Adapters are applied to both the graphic fill and alpha sub tracks.
- Relinking Across Frame Rates - With this release, you can relink across different frame rates. A new option has been added to the Relink dialog box that allows you to relink to clips across different frame rates.
- For details on bug fixes check out the Release Documents. ReadMe for Media Composer v8.9.3 and Whats new Guide found here Media Composer 8.x Documentation page
Version 8.8 - Feb 16 2017
- ScriptSync & PhraseFind 2.0: New versions now available as options for Media Composer (separate activations required.)
- Timeline Clip Notes: Add notes within the timeline and view them in a separate window
- Frame Cache for Effects Editing: Caches frames so adjusting parameters takes less time
Version 8.7 - Dec 15 2016 
- Matchframe Matte Keys & Titles: You can now matchframe on matte keys and titles that are created or dropped into sequences starting with 8.7. (This will not work for matte keys and titles in existing sequences. See the README for more information.)
- Audio Dupe Detection
- Support for Sonly XVAC LongG
- Rotation Presets in FrameFlex
- Controlling the Track Shown in Split View A new setting to the Composer Settings window in the Multicam tab allows you to control which track is shown in the split view when you press Play. You can choose between V1 or the monitored track.
- Bin Enhancements
- Set Default Bin View The new Set Default Bin View option in the Bin Settings window allows you to set a default bin view when creating a new bin.
Version 8.6 - Jun 30 2016
- Source Browser: Allows you to navigate to and import or link your file-based media from a single window. You can also preview your file-based media in the Source Browser window before you commit the clip(s) into a project.
- Native Support for Panasonic AVC-LongG: Media Composer now provides native support for the Panasonic AVC-LongG format.
- Audio Ducking: Quickly and easily create an audio mix by automatically reducing the audio level of one or more audio tracks against other audio track(s) – like “ducking” the volume of music or natural sound under dialog, and then ramping it back up again.
- Nested AudioSuite Effects: Stack AudioSuite effects and step in and out to manipulate each individual effect – just like with video effects.
Version 8.5.1 - Mar 10 2016
- Menu Simplification: The menus have been reorganized to remove legacy menu items and simplify the user experience.
- Timeline UI Improvements: A number of updates have been made to the timeline, including enabling Sync Rollers for Sync Locked Tracks, the ability to see full segments as you drag them within the timeline as well as the effect their repositioning will have on the rest of the timeline before you commit the change, and creating a new track by dragging a segment above the timeline.
- Support for 64 Tracks of Audio: Users can now create and work with 64 individual tracks of audio.
- Group by Audio Waveforms: Group clips can be made based on audio waveform analysis.
- HDR Support: Media Composer now includes color spaces for High Dynamic Range (HDR). This provides support for a higher range of video signal, and enables automatic color transformations for source files based on the HDR color space set in the project.
- Audio Mixer Updates: You can now resize the Audio Mixer and create custom track groupings.
- FrameFlex Rotation: Users can rotate the framing box in the FrameFlex source settings using the Z rotation slides, enabling the straightening or reframing of an image at the source level rather than in the timeline.
- Interactive Video Frame Cache: A new Video Memory tab has been added to the Media Cache settings to allow users to save generated frames of the current playing sequence into a memory storage cache, resulting in faster response times while editing and playing back media.
- UI Personalization Tools: Additional UI settings have been added to allow users to change the background color of the Project Window and Timeline, and override Bin and Project fonts and font sizes.
- Bin Columns Updates: The process for adding Custom Columns as well as Multiple Columns in bins has been simplified, and you can now copy and paste the same text to multiple fields within a column.
- Identifying Rendered Effects: Users can now choose to differentiate between rendered effect media and Title and Matte key effect media in the Media Tool. This is helpful when identifying media to delete.
- Ancillary Data SCC Import: Media Composer now supports importing of Scenarist Closed Caption (.scc) files.
- …and more!
Version 8.4.1 - Sep 4 2015
Version 8.4 - Jun 25 2015
- XAVC-I Native Support,
- Apple ProRes Native Support
- Viewer Mask Options
- Previewing Closed Captioning
- Lists Tool Improvements: added handles to EDL events, easy access to the Preview Pane tools, Timeline blue bar interaction with EDL events, background color to the Preview Pane when in Edit Mode, Print List and Clear List.
- Timeline Quick Find field allows you to enter text that you can search for in the Timeline. To customize the search, use the text field drop down menu and select which text options you want to search: Visible Timeline Text, Resolution, Clip Name, Comments, Markers, All, or a combination.
- Resizing Monitors: It’s now possible to resize the monitors in Media Composer to a much larger size than before. This is especially useful when working in Effects Mode.
- Adapter Display in Timeline: Clips that have source-side color, spatial and motion adapters now have these effects indicated by different icons. Temporal (motion) adapters appear with a T, spatial (FrameFlex) adapters appear with an S, and Color adapters appear with a C. Go to the Timeline fast menu (hamburger menu) to choose which adapters you want to appear in the Timeline.
- AAX Factory Presets: The AAX factory-provided presets used in Pro Tools are now available in Media Composer. By accessing an Audio Suite or Audio Track Effect, you can choose the factory default Plug-in settings or a preset setting, make adjustments and select ‘Save Setting As’ to save the adjusted setting. The saved setting appears as a selectable preset when you choose that plug-in.
- Include Inactive Audio Tracks in Export: Through the Export Settings dialog you can now choose to include inactive audio tracks. When this option is selected, inactive audio tracks will be included with the exported sequence. The option is on by default. Also note that the terminology for Use Enabled Tracks has been changed to Use Selected Tracks.
- and more….
Version 8.3 - Jan 6, 2015 
- High Resolution Sequence Formats Supported by Media Composer: The editing application supports higher than HD sequence formats.
- High-Res Output The editing application supports exporting DPX (Windows and Mac) and exporting ProRes 444 (Mac only)
- Resolution Independence You can now edit and playback UHD, 2K, and 4K sequences on your Timeline, as well as transcode, render and output high-resolution formats.
- Color Management Media Composer supports BT/Rec. 2020 and DCI-P3 color spaces.
- Frame Rates The editing application supports additional frame rates.
- DNxHR (High Resolutions): A new Avid codec family, DNxHR will support any frame size to allow 4K and proxy workflows.
- Play and Render Sequence in Proxy You can work with a “Proxy Timeline”. You can play your sequence at 1/4 or 1/16 of the current project resolution.
- High-Res 4K Monitor Support: You can preview your media at Full Size through the “Full Screen Playback” option.
- Title Tool Replacement for High Resolution Projects: For higher than HD projects, use the New Blue Titler to create titles.
- Quick Filter in the Bin: A quick filter text box has been added to bins to allow you to filter items in a bin.
- Using the List Tool: You can create EDLs, Cut Lists, and Change Lists within the editing application. The Lists Tool replaces the separate EDL Manager and FilmScribe applications.
- The Color Info Tool: The Color Info tool allows you to see the RGB values for the pixels under the pointer.
- Exporting as DPX The editing application supports exporting as DPX files.
- Additional Column Headings: Frame Count Start, Frame Count End, Frame Count Duration, and Reel columns have been added to the editing application.
- I//O devices: Avid has qualified the following 4K I/O hardware from 3rd parties:
- AJA Kona 4
- AJA IO 4k Thunderbolt 2
- Blackmagic Design BMD Decklink 4K Extreme
- Blackmagic Design UltraStudio 4K
- Thunderbolt 2
Version 8.2 - Oct 20 2014
- Background Rendering
- Favorite Bins
- Enhanced Select Project Window
- Quick Filter Field in project Window
- Search for Markers
- DMF support for DPX files
Version 8.1 - Oct 2 2014
- Support for AAX-64 Plugins
- Exporting DNxHD as MXF OP1a wrapped media
- Changes to dragging in the UI
- Support for the ARRI AMIRA camera
- Disabling video tracks and muting clips in the timeline
- Multiple audio mixdowns
- Merging Color Corrections (Symphony option only)
- Avid Image Sequencer plugin allows you to AMA Link DPX files
Version 7.0 - August 26, 2013 
- Dynamic Media Folders
- AMA Managed Media
- Starting and Stopping Background Services
- Editing High-Resolution Media
- Reframing High-Resolution Media for HD or SD Projects (FrameFlexTM)
- Color Management
- Waveform Redraw
- Audio Mixer Improvements
- Background Consolidate/Transcode
- Consolidate/Transcode only AMA Clips
- Adjusting Audio Clip Gain in the Timeline
- Vertical Scroll
Version 6.0 - Nov 16 2011 
- Stereoscopic 3D
- Avid Artist Color
- Open I/O
- Avid Marketplace